Thursday, May 16, 2013

Egg White Muffin Cups || Step by Step

I think breakfast is the hardest meal for me to actually make an effort to eat. Either I'm just getting off my 3rd shift job and I just want to crash in bed, or I've stayed up late and don't wake up during "breakfast" hours.

I'm saying all this because I want to make eating breakfast as easy as possible, so there aren't any kinds of excuses. I decided to look up a recipe for egg white cups and they're basically baked egg whites in a muffin tin. Super easy to make and you can make quite a few and store them in the fridge for easy access.

Things You'll Need:


  • 1 cup of Egg Whites [I use the kind that comes in a carton, but you can separate the eggs the old fashioned way]
  • 2 large eggs *optional* [I like the flavor the yolks give, but you could easily add more egg whites to make up the space]
  • 2 slices of turkey bacon *optional* [Or, your meat of choice]
  • An array of veggies. [I used spinach, grape tomatoes, and mushrooms]
  • Seasonings! [I used Mrs. Dash Original Flavor, a little of the Mrs. Dash Steak flavor, and pepper]
  • Cheese *optional* [I used part skim, low-moisture mozzarella from Whole Foods]
  • Olive oil or an oil spray
  • Muffin tin
  • Muffin paper cups *optional* [I didn't use them and they didn't stick]


What You Do:

Preheat your oven to 350F


Oil your muffin tin and place your meat of choice on the bottom [skip this this step if you've decided to just have veggies].

Place the tin in the oven and allow the bacon to cook for 10 minutes.


While the bacon is cooking, chop up all of the veggies you're going to put in the cups.




Combine the egg whites, eggs, and seasonings in your bowl and stir.






Place the veggies down into the cups.





Pour the egg mixture over the veggies, almost to the top.
Top with a sprinkle of cheese.






Bake in the oven for 20-25min, or until you get the texture you prefer

Use a butter knife to slide along the edges to get the egg whites out. It should come out smooth if the tin was properly oiled.
Add extra cheese if desired and enjoy!!



Store the extra muffin cups in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze. Remember to thaw in the refrigerator the night before!  Bon Appétit!!
 

I hope this helped you if you're not really a breakfast person like me!


2 comments:

  1. oh.my.god. i want to make these right now. i gotta buy some veggies. these look so good!!! and easy! easy is good since I'm a terrible cook haha!

    ReplyDelete

No rude comments please! They won't be approved. I'd love to read your health/fitness blogs, leave me links!! :)